Does the homeland of a cucumber affect care? Certainly. This means that suitable varieties have appeared in every locality.
From the history of the cucumber
A Turkish sultan named Mohammed II was cruel and greedy. He wanted to know who dared to eat the unusual gift sent to him - a cucumber.
Cucumbers have become famous as a vegetable plant for a long time - more than six thousand years have passed since then. Its historical homeland is western India. And its fruit is a berry. What else is interesting about the cucumber?
- In India, a wild representative winds around the tree trunks of the forest;
- They braided the squares of the fences in the villages there;
- His image was found on frescoes during excavations in Ancient Egypt, as well as in Greek temples;
- In China, as well as in Japan, the fertility of the cucumber allows you to pick the berry three times a year. First, cucumbers are grown with the help of boxes and roofs, after which it is planted on fertilized soil already in the garden. Huge fruits hang from the trellises in ripe form - their length is up to 1.5 m. In Europe, the variety of Chinese cucumbers was chosen for cultivation in greenhouse conditions;
- There are also cucumber records in the Guinness Book. The 1.83 meter long cucumber is grown in Hungary. Indoors, we received a cucumber fruit weighing more than 6 kg.
In Russia, this vegetable quickly fell in love. In the manual on agriculture distributed for the period of the eighteenth century, it is indicated that in Russia it took root better than in Europe. It is believed that the vegetable was known in the country until the 9th century. Under Peter the Great, the homeland of cucumber was transferred to greenhouses - a special farm created for their cultivation.