This is how it happens: you plant a houseplant or a garden plant, put your whole heart into growing it, and after a while you notice that a scabbard has overpowered it.
The scale insect is the most important plant pest, so it is important for the grower to get rid of it in time.
- Why is the scale insect so dangerous for the plant?
- Not all insects are a pity. How to get rid of the scabbard?
- Let's say a firm "no" to the shield, or preventive measures against a pest
Why is the scale insect so dangerous for the plant?
If you are an experienced gardener or a florist, then you must understand that any settlement of arthropods on a plant is fraught with consequences.
The scale insect belongs to a number of isoptera, they have a rather rounded body and pronounced demorphism - the body of a female is covered with wax.
Demorphism is manifested in the fact that males are smaller in size and move more often, while females, on the contrary, are less mobile and sit on the same plant. The explanation is simple - females debug eggs. But are the scale insects as dangerous as they say about them?
The scale insects are very dangerous for the plant and can lead to wilting. Arthropods feed on sap, especially males. The female scale insects sit still, but they still manage to feed on the plant.
At the place where the juice is sucked out, yellow or brown dots form, over time, the affected plant begins to fade - it throws off the leaves, exposes the buds and completely ceases to show signs of "life".
Outwardly, it is very easy to recognize this parasite. They are mostly brown in color and are attached close to the veins of the plant.
You may not notice the arthropods themselves, but the sticky enzyme that you will feel when you touch the leaves is the first sign of damage by this type of pest. This means that the disease of the plant is progressing.
It is also worth noting that getting rid of the scabbard is not as easy as it seems at first glance.
Today, you can use folk or store-bought means to destroy parasites, but we recommend opting for the second option, since it turns out to be the most effective.
So, we managed to find out that the scale insect is a parasitic species of insect that infects the leaves of a plant by sucking out the juice.
It remains very important for you to pay attention to the first signs of damage in a timely manner, namely: wilting and a sticky enzyme on the foliage.
Not all insects are a pity. How to get rid of the scabbard?
It has already been written above that modern methods of combating the scabbard can be divided into home and store remedies.
Naturally, if the plant is not completely affected, you can use folk methods of pest control, but when we talk about neglected cases, it is better to go straight to the store for a chemical agent.
Getting rid of the scabbard at home:
- Laundry soap. Take 2 tablespoons of laundry soap and 3 liters of water. Mix these ingredients in a bottle and spray on the affected plant. Remember that the procedure must be performed every other day, otherwise you will aggravate the already difficult situation of the plant. Spray the leaves of the plant on both sides.
- Neem oil. This type of oil is often used by gardeners to treat trees. Take the product, apply it to a cotton sponge and process the leaves of the plant. Experienced growers say that this is an effective procedure for destroying the scabbard and can be used for preventive purposes.
- Garlic solution. Grind 5 cloves of garlic in a garlic bowl, pour the mixture with 0.5 liters of water. Place the emulsion in a cool, dark place for 6-7 hours. Then sprinkle the garlic solution on the affected areas of the plant. After 4 hours after spraying, rinse the leaves with warm water.
If we talk about store products, then the following products have proven themselves well: Aktellik, Arrivo, Fitoverm.
They will not only rid the plant of pests, but also act as a preventive drug. Such a 2-in-1 effect.
Remember your own safety. Before applying a chemical spray to the plant, make sure that the areas of the face are well covered. This is especially true for the olfactory organs.
Folk and store remedies will help you get rid of the scale insect at home. After processing and successfully getting rid of the scabbard, it is necessary to resort to preventive measures.
Let's say a firm "no" to the shield, or preventive measures against a pest
Having got rid of the scabbard, many simply forget about the elementary rules of prevention. In the meantime, you can again face the appearance of pests. Small tips will help you forget about the annoying shield.
Preventive measures everyone should know:
- Remember to inspect the leaves of the plant once a week. This will help you identify the pest as early as possible.
- Watering should be in moderation, the scale insect loves "stagnation" of water.
- It is better to store the affected plant in a garbage bag, this will make it possible to protect other plants from possible damage.
- Once a month, treat the leaves of the plant with soapy water, it has already been written about it above.
- Wipe the leaves of the plant with a cloth dipped in a manganese solution.
- If you find pests, first wipe the leaves with a rag. So you get rid of the already laid larvae.
- Do not forget to feed the flower, this will strengthen the plant's immunity.
Remember that transplanting a plant that has scale insects is strictly prohibited. Such simple tips will help protect the plant from possible pests.
It is very important for you to provide arrogant care and care for the plant: check the leaves in a timely manner, treat them with soapy water, do not forget about feeding, and you will definitely protect the flower from the scale insect.
Some housewives recommend cutting off the affected areas with scissors. How effective the method is is not known, since the scabbard is mainly located along the entire trunk of the plant.
So, we managed to find out about the features of the scale insect, as well as ways to combat the pest. Remember that the arthropod has strong immunity, so resort to complex procedures to destroy the pest.
After applying chemicals, make sure you rinse the product well from body areas. We hope our advice will bring results in the fight against an annoying pest.
Video on how the fight with the shield goes in practice: