Fertilizing currants in the spring with organic, mineral fertilizers and microelements
To obtain a harvest, it is necessary to feed the currants in the spring. Do it when the shoots grow back up to two cm.
- What top dressing consists of
- What can replace organic fertilizers
- Foliar feeding of currants
- Fertilizer AVA
- How to feed currants with AVA fertilizer
What top dressing consists of
Depending on the autumn fertilization, spring doses can be different:
- If in the fall the currant bushes were fertilized with organic matter, potassium and phosphorus, then in the spring, only ammonium nitrate in the amount of 50-70 grams is embedded in the trunk circles. per plant.
- If the currants have not received fertilizers since the fall, then you will need to do two dressings. Mullein is bred in a bucket of water with the addition of 1 tbsp. l. urea (ammonium nitrate). 2-3 liters of this fertilizer is poured into the trunks of each plant, followed by abundant watering. The second top dressing consists of potassium sulfate (10 g) and superphosphate (20 g). with embedding of near-trunk circles in the soil to a depth of 5-10 cm, followed by watering and mulching.
In addition, all currants are responsive to the introduction of wood ash containing potassium and trace elements.
What can replace organic fertilizers
If there are no organic fertilizers, they are replaced with mineral fertilizers:
- Nitrogen - 20 g.
- Phosphoric - 15 g.
- Potash - 20 g.
Currants, especially varieties with pink, white and red fruits, do not like chlorine. Therefore, it is better to replace potassium chloride with sulfate. A mixture of mineral fertilizers is applied to the soil, followed by embedding into the soil to a depth of 10 cm. Then it is watered abundantly, mulched with peat, rotted sawdust or humus.
Foliar feeding of currants
With intensive growth of shoots, currants need various trace elements. These are boron, selenium, zinc, humate, etc. Trace elements are used for foliar dressing - they are sprayed on foliage in cloudy weather.
There are many micronutrient preparations available today. They are mainly available in tablets or powder, less often in solution. For example, "Uniflor-micro". For feeding, take one tablespoon, diluted in 10 liters. water and use as directed. This is done the first time before flowering and the second - during the appearance of the ovaries.
If currant seedlings were planted using AVA fertilizer, then the next feeding will be required only after three years. All the necessary components for the growth and normal development of plants, including microelements, are contained in this preparation.
The uniqueness of AVA is that it stimulates nitrogen-fixing bacteria, which accumulate nitrogen from the upper layers of the soil and attract it to the plant in sufficient quantities.
How to feed currants with AVA fertilizer
The introduction of this drug is made once every three years. A shallow groove (5-10 cm) is made around the circumference of the currant crown, 1-2 tbsp is evenly poured. this fertilizer. Then the depression is covered with soil.
The drug is not scattered over the surface of the soil - it, like any mineral fertilizers, will not be effective. The exceptional quality of AVA lies in the fact that it does not immediately dissolve and does not go into the subsoil. The drug, under the influence of temperature (from +8 degrees), gradually melts (like a candy), giving off all the components little by little. That is, it is not consumed in winter.