This variety "Welsey" was developed using the seeds of the Siberian cherry apple in America in 1860. After a long and careful study of the "Welsey" variety in Orlovsky and other support fruit and berry points at nurseries, this tree began to spread throughout Russia.
According to the documents of the Register of State Institutions, where the selection of fruit plants is carried out and studied, "Welsey" became zoned and allowed for breeding in the Central, Lower Volga, Central Black Earth, North Kavaz and Northwest regions.
- Welsey variety description
- Wellsey apple fruit
- Pros and cons of the variety
Description of the variety
The plant is a medium-sized tree with a wide-pyramidal crown at a young age, and round - on average. The branches are raised up and have dropped ends. The main branches can break due to a lush harvest due to the fact that they grow upward at an acute angle. The fruiting type of apple tree is mixed, which means that it has many fruit bags that are "sessile". The buds of this variety are convex, drooping, rather large. There are many lentils, they have a round rounded shape. Young shoots are medium-low, have a brown color and an average thickness of branches. When grown in a nursery, the apple tree does not grow too quickly. The leaves are small, less often of medium size, their top is twisted. The leaves have a dark green color, a distinct shine, a clearly palpable leatheriness and crenate strongly wavy edges. Stipules are of medium size and lanceolate. Annual plants in a nursery grow with thin drooping branches.
During flowering, medium-sized flowers with light pink shades are observed.
Before flowering, the buds are cast in a light purple color. Welsey flower petals are pink and white. The flower petals are not separated.
Wellsey apple fruit
In the south of Russia, the fruits of the tree ripen in autumn, in other regions - by winter. Their shape is close to rep-shaped (flattened), less often - rounded-flattened, the size is average and below average.
- During the period of removable maturity, the welsey apple has a yellow-green color, in the phase of full (or consumer) ripening the fruit acquires a golden hue.
- The color of the integument is accompanied by a dark red background or has dirty red stripes on the surface of the rind.
- The fetus has pronounced subcutaneous points.
- The rind is firm, but not hard, the surface is smooth.
- The funnel near the peduncle is deep and conical in shape. The stalk itself is long and thin.
- The core is small in size with closed seed chambers.
- The color of the seeds is dark brown and their shape is pointed.
- The pulp of the fruit is more often white, less often greenish, sometimes red streaks are found.
- The fruit tastes sweet and sour, has a delicate refined aroma. The taste of apples directly depends on the condition of the tree, as well as the weather conditions in which they grew. In dry years, the appearance of a herbaceous taste is possible.
- The fruit is not very firmly attached to the tree.
- The ripening time of fruits, for example, in the Oryol region - the second half of September - early October. It is extremely important to remove the harvest from the tree on time, otherwise it threatens with significant shedding of most of the fruits and their subsequent rapid deterioration.
- The storage period is until the end of the second half of February. There must be sufficient moisture in the storage area for apples, otherwise they quickly wither and wrinkle.
- The fruits are suitable for the preparation of raw materials for the production of lobes and juices, as well as for fresh consumption.
- Fruiting of the tree begins 4-5 years after planting, therefore the variety is called early-growing.
- The maximum recorded yield per tree was 275 kg.
- The frequency of fruiting is considered mild.
- The variety is moderately resistant to winter frosts, it is also highly resistant to scab damage.
Pros and cons of the variety
The advantages of planting this variety:
- rich productivity,
- excellent taste of apples,
- resistance to transportation,
- excellent preservation,
- high scab resistance.
Cons of planting this variety:
- in the conditions of the Central region is not too winter-hardy,
- possible shedding of fruits before harvesting,
- crushing fruits during a high harvest season,
- change in taste depending on the weather and region.
With the help of Welsey, more than 30 new species of trees were bred by selection, both in our country and abroad. Among them are Aelita, Student, Cinnamon new, Memory to a warrior, Altai ruddy, Prima and others.
The chemical composition of apples:
- Titratable acids - 0.61%,
- The amount of sugars - 10.1%,
- P-active substances - 185.1 mg / 100g,
- ascorbic acid - 10.2 mg / 100g,
- pectin substances - 10.5%.
The best varieties of apple trees: